Wednesday 11 November 2015

FRANCIE LANOO: What's Up With That Name?

Creating a character’s name can be fun but also challenging because various factors have to be considered, like: Has the name already been used in another novel? When using the name of a friend or family member, will that person think the character is based on them? Does the prospective name imply something specific about the character's persona?
In IF NOT 4 U and Some Shoesthe protagonist’s name is Francie Lanoo, an offbeat choice for sure … and labeled “unique” in a book review published by KIRKUS REVIEWS … but totally appropriate in my mind because of some near-and-dear associations.
FullSizeRender-4 copy
Photo Credit: Laurie Nenson
The character’s last name, Lanoo, pays homage to a fellow Canadian, Marie Lannooan abstract contemporary artist who easily ranks as one of my top-ten favorites. I own two small works by this huge talent, and something about them—the happy vibe, the bold colors, the deep wood box on which they’re painted—puts a smile on my face every time I look at them. When I was writing IF NOT 4 U and Some Shoes, I imagined the type of artwork that a quirky, artsy-girl like my lead character would produce. Instantly, Marie Lannoo’s artistic style came to mind.  Of note: I tweaked the spelling of Marie’s last name by removing an “n.” I have no idea why I did that. I just did. My apologies, Marie.
Photo Credit: www.shimmeringmagic.com
Photo Credit: www.shimmeringmagic.com
The character’s first name, Francie, pays homage to my favorite childhood doll, Francie Fairchild, the groovy member of the infamous Mattel's Barbie doll clan, and Barbie’s younger cousin from England. For those of a younger generation--that didn’t play with dolls in the late sixties/early seventies--Francie was strikingly different than her infamous leggy, blond, super-glamorous cousin Barbie. She was petite, boyishly shaped, brunette-haired, brown-eyed, free-spirited and the first in the doll series to have bendable legs and real eyelashes. She also had the coolest clothing/accessories, featuring bright colors, geometric patterns, and uber-mod styling—a collection that, according to her Wikipedia page, was modeled after the fashion of Carnaby Street, a highly coveted fashion movement in London, back in the day. Because this doll’s characteristics, personality and fashion sense registered as ideal to me during my youth, I closely related to her, and wanted to emulate her. Which is why, many years later, I chose to make her my muse for a highly likeable teenage character.
 Coincidentally, it’s noted in www.sheknows.com (a website that deciphers baby names) that Francie means Free One … and that people with this name tend to be idealistic, highly imaginative, intuitive, and visionary. Just a few more traits that ring true for Ms. Francie Lanoo.
Fun facts:
According to www.nameberry.com, there are some other famous Francies in the literary world.
Francie Hugo, in the 1929 Elizabeth Bowen novel, The Last September.
Francie Nolan, in the 1943 Betty Smith novel, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
Additionally, a few Francies have graced the TV screen:
Francie, a character from the movie The Art of a Steal.
Francie Calfo, a character on Alias.
A secret hope of mine is that, by using the name Francie in a contemporary novel, I will cast a spotlight on it and makes it more popular. To aid in that movement, if you know anyone that’s about to name a newborn girl, please spread the word that Francie has a lovely ring to it.
P.S.: Stay tuned because in another blog I’ll explain the name-origin of Francie Lanoo’s love interest, the irresistible Berkeley Mills. No, it has nothing to do with Mattel’s Ken or Allan dolls, nor Hasbro’s GI Joe.  It does, however, have to do with a first sighting on a football field.

No comments:

Post a Comment