Wednesday 11 November 2015

Calling all DIMPLED EARLOBE PEOPLE of the World!!

Photo Credit: www.hollywoodreporter.com
Photo Credit: www.hollywoodreporter.com
In the novel IF NOT 4 U and Some Shoesthe lead character, Francie Lanoo, is …spoiler alert … involved in an accident that renders one of her body parts marred. Her initial reaction to the misfortune is flat-out anguish (to the point where she won’t even look at the damage, fearing its visual will somehow scar her brain) but pretty commonplace. After all, she’s a self-conscious teenage girl living in the world of selflies, freaked about being loved less by her boyfriend, and lacking the coping mechanisms to face adversity for the first time.
I, too, have a physical imperfection (albeit, small): a dimpled right earlobe that looks like someone took a bite out of it. When I was a young girl, I asked my mother, “Why don’t my ears match?”  With a grin, she replied, “While I was pregnant, your older sister poked her finger into my stomach, and your right ear took the hit" …a  cute explanation, for sure … and somewhat believable knowing my sister … but, by about age ten, I knew better.
For years, I did stuff to cover up the imperfection, like wearing my hair down so my ears weren’t exposed, and having a second hole pierced in my left ear so that the double earrings on that side of my head would draw more attention. It was overreactive behavior just like Francie Lanoo's (and definitely driven by my thin-skinned character), but I couldn’t help myself because I was really bothered when my ear was referred to as weird.
Thankfully, as I matured, I grew fond of the 'asymmetry'. In fact, a few years ago, I even started a Facebook group to summon others of similar ‘specialness’ to celebrate with me. Check it out: DIMPLED EARLOBE PEOPLE.  Sad but true, the page has yet to receive a single new member (except for Adam Sandler, who I added myself after noticing during an interview on David Letterman that he, too, possessed a dimpled earlobe), which makes me wonder: did a lack of publicity cause this group to be overlooked? Or, are there only two dimpled-earlobe people on this planet?
My point in drawing attention to the topic of body oddities is to emphasize the fact that the best way to live with them is to embrace them, and be confident about them, and perhaps even make light of them. Others do, including some pretty notable celebrities: Drew Barrymore has a cute crooked mouth. Tyra Banks has that super-high forehead. Supermodel/America’s Next Top Model contestant Chantelle Brown-Young has a skin condition Vitiligo. Megan Fox has clubbed thumbs. Musician Seal has facial scars..
I'm well aware that it gets reiterated over and over and over, but life really is short. So, rather than wasting precious hours worrying about what other people think of your distinguishing physical characteristics, take ownership of the hand you’ve been dealt and do your best to live happily.
On that note, what unique markings make you special?
If a DIMPLED EARLOBE is your answer, please reveal yourself and join my Facebook group … because I, and @AdamSandler, might like to do some bonding.

No comments:

Post a Comment